Tuesday, September 15, 2015

Student Vs. Author

Prepare. Pause. Patience.


 
I’m currently sitting at a round table in my campus Starbucks, sipping a hazelnut latte, and watching for my coffeehouse crush to stroll through the main door. I love my college. I love Nashville and the opportunities it offers. I love meeting new people, learning about the publishing industry, going to concerts, and dressing like a hipster without shame or reservation.

Although my social life has gained a needed boost from my move, my writing schedule has experienced a major blow. Not a bullet ricochet; a nuclear bombing. The schedule is so meager it consists only of short fiction-writing assignments for my publishing class, blog posts, and the occasional tweet.

So what am I doing now?

School? Exercising at the gym? Drinking lots of coffee?

Yes. Yes. Yes. And more.

I’ve dedicated this school year to querying agents and building my author platform. As of now, I’ve queried fifty agents and am awaiting responses. YES—that’s the word I need to hear.

My odds seem decent at the moment.

For me, the most difficult aspect of the process has been the wait. I trudge through my day and courses, not working on another book, not organizing author events, just doing my student duties and praying that God will open doors at the right time. I have accomplished what I can accomplish at this point in time. Now I must wait. And waiting is hard. Especially for an overly determined person like me.
 
Since many of you are facing a schedule change, I’d like to offer some advice.

1.      Don’t lose sight of your dream.

It’s easy to shift focus when you’re in a new place, surrounded by new people, but you can’t forget your dream. Never forget.

2.      Remind yourself of that paused part of you.

The dream you’ve placed on hold is a slice of your identity. Forgetting it is like forgetting a part of yourself. Talk about your dream with others. Place a visual reminder somewhere in your room to keep that part of you present.

3.      Take a step forward every day, even if it’s small and seems inconsequential.
Make choices daily that will draw you closer to your goal. Practice your talents. Contact people who might be willing to help you reach your dream. The small steps you make will be what carry you to success.
 
If you are encountering a situation similar to mine, tell me about it!

If you have any questions about the publishing industry, college life, or my coffeehouse crush, email me! I’ll post interesting questions and my answers on this blog.

Also, send me a review of THE PRIME WAY PROGRAM and I’ll send you something in return!

 

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin